Prevention Of Eye Strain
How To Prevent Eye Strain
Preventing eye strain involves understanding what causes eye strain (poor lightning, CTR monitors, glare) and then trying to minimize or even eliminate these factors. Minimizing the strain itself by allowing your eyes to refocus using the 20/20/20 method has also been proven to have a dramatic effect on the prevention and reduction of eye strain. List below are the most effective methods of preventing eye strain;
Changing your work station:
- Your computer screen should be below your eye level at about 20° degrees.
- Ensure your work station doesn’t face a window or bright light.
- Regularly clean your monitor of all dust.
- Take regular short breaks of 10-15 minutes every two hours to rest your eyes and your body.
- Eliminate all glare and screen reflections by purchasing an anti glare screen protector.
- Make sure you have a shady lamp that can be redirected so as to not produce any glare.
Follow The 20/20/20 Rule:
The 20/20/20 rule is a simple rule you can follow whenever you are working on a computer or reading a book. Every twenty minutes focus on an item twenty meters away for twenty seconds. This lets your eyes refocus and allows your ciliary muscle to relax for a few seconds.
Specialized computer glasses help reduce eye strain by eliminating glare and also allowing the ciliary muscle to relax.